Karen Demarest

The White Man’s Burden

“Take up the White Man’s burden”, is a newly popular poem written by author Rudyard Kipling.The White Man’s Burden is a very popular poem because it has caused a lot of controversy between the whites and the blacks. Rudyard Kipling uses strictly imperative sentences to get his message across that a white man has the responsibility to take over the blacks. Although Kipling doesn’t come out and say that in the poem, he implies it many times. One of the many phrases in which he implies this is when he states: “Your new caught sullen people, half devil and half child”. This phrase is obviously very offensive to the blacks as it basically calls them evil and diabolical, and no one wants to be thought of that way.

Even though ‘The White Man’s Burden’ is very offensive, it is also superficial and Kipling is very vague in his statements. For example, the poem says to “send forth the best ye breed”. No one except Kipling can really tell who he is talking to in this poem, but since the title is called “The White Man’s Burden”, it is assumed that he is telling the white men to send their sons to serve their captives needs. This of course causes a lot of disagreements as to whether or not this poem is really saying that the white men have the duty of controlling the black men.

Much of the poem talks about how prestigious it is to be a white man and it implies that “The White Man’s Burden” is an honor to have. For example, in the sixth paragraph of the poem, Kipling writes: “The silent, sullen people shall weigh their gods and you”.  This statement should definitely set up some red flags if people are thinking this poem is moral in any way. That sentence indicates that the black people, whom the white are supposed to take over, shall put the white men alongside their gods, in other words, worship the white men. This is another big reason why Rudyard Kipling’s poem is not right in any way.

Of course a lot of people disagree with “The White Mans Burden”. In fact, authors have even written poems in response to Rudyard Kipling, some even in the form of a parody. Earnest Crosby wrote a parody of the poem, “The Real White Man’s Burden”. Crosby used sarcasm throughout the whole poem to explain why he thought racial imperialism is wrong. H.T. Johnson, an African American clergyman, wrote a response to Rudyard titled “The Black Man’s Burden”. Johnson used emotion and sympathy to get his points across, that racial imperialism isn’t just. Henry Labouchere wrote “The Brown Man’s Burden” in response to “The White Man’s Burden”, stating quite clearly that colonization is wrong and people have the rights to declare themselves free.

Obviously, many people have different views on this poem. Some people either don’t understand it’s meaning and claim it is a poetic masterpiece. Other people understand the true meaning of the poem and are right to disagree with it. This poem is wrong morally and it has caused a lot of controversy between the whites and the blacks. It shouldn’t matter what country a person is or what color their skin is. They are people and they have just as many right as anyone else. A man shouldn’t be more respected simply because he is white. Respect should be earned. A black man shouldn’t be denied a job or denied to vote just because of the color of his skin. It is time that people learn that. The White Man’s Burden is irrelevant as to what anyone should think. People have to decide for themselves what they believe.

Grade 8 Tri 3 White Mans Burden Gilroy May 21

This is an essay written for Mr Gilroy's class. It tells about the White Mans Burden by Rudyard Kipling and it gives my opinion. This required a lot of thinking because at first I wasnt really sure what my opinion was about the White Mans Burden so I had spent a couple of hours pondering about what I thought this poem meant and how I felt about it.

• How could I improve this project?
I could have looked into the poem more. I could have researched and looked up theories to help my understanding of the poem. Other than that though I think I did a good job on this project and I really enjoyed voicing my opinion.
Grade 7 Trimester 2 1-9-12 Little Women Part 3 Mrs Ejnes This is my role as passage picker. My novel was Little Women.It shows thinking because I had to think about what the passages meant. I also had to think about what the passages were saying. What did I learn about myself when doing this work? I learned that I can look more closely at what characters are saying and look closer at their personality. I learned that I can read between the lines.

Grade 7 Trimester 1 1-9-12 Healthy Relationships Art Class

This is a poster displaying healthy relationships. It features a very cool drawing of a heart and a rose. I think it shows thinking because we had to THINK of three words that describe a healthy relationship.

• How can I apply this to the real world?

A real healthy relationship involves trust, love and care.  I put these words into the poster because I believe this is what a healthy relationship needs. I can definately apply this to the real world.